Sunday 27 July 2008

CRM and short term memory

There seem to be two types of CRM users - those that use it to manage transactions and others that use it to organise their business lives.

I unashamedly fall into the latter group - I use my CRM system to manage my every move. In looking at ways to release more time for thinking and planning it came to me that I use CRM as the system equivalent of my long term memory - memory stored as meaning that can fade over time if it is not recalled on a number of occasions. CRM for me has become a memory store. With smart use of reminders and triggers I can get the system to recall information over time. The problem with this is that reminders can interrupt and overwrite what users are currently thinking, ie what is going on in short term memory. Smart use of CRM takes this into account but in this respect a system is only as good as its user.

No comments: